WIPs and New Releases
1) Tell us about your book…
Ø Is this a WIP or a new release?
· My book is a new release.
Ø Is it a standalone or an installment to a series or collection?
· It’s a standalone. I originally considered creating three parts to the book, by writing about three separate trips, but sometimes less is more.
Ø What is the story about?
· The short story is about a widowed mother fulfilling her five-year-old son’s desire to see the ocean by taking him on a cruise to the Magdalen Islands.
2) What inspired this tale?
Ø How did you come up with the plot?
· I was mainly inspired by a trip I took to the Magdalen Islands with my husband and son during the summer of 2017. As always though, I don’t always know everything that will happen until I start writing. As crazy as this sounds, my characters often talk to me and I just go with the flow…
Ø Did you have to research for this novel – if so, what and why?
· Unfortunately, I hadn’t kept a travel journal or taken any notes during my trip as I often do, so I had to look up a few things while I was writing my story to make sure I was accurate with the facts I included in the story.
Ø If you did research, what surprised you most to learn, and why do you think that was?
· I technically didn’t really learn anything new, but because I didn’t remember all the facts it was interesting to read about them and remember the things I had originally discovered during my trip.
3) Tell us about your character?
Ø Who is the main character?
· The widowed mother, Caroline.
Ø Is your protagonist anything like you, personally?
o If yes, then how?
§ Yes, Caroline is a lot like me. I travelled a lot with my son when he was young. Things didn’t work out between his father and I, so I was a single mom for a while. I share the same bond with my son as Caroline does with hers.
o If not, then how do you differ from one another?
§ I am not a widow.
Ø What made you write this character; what made them important to you or made you want to tell their story?
§ I started writing this story as any other; with just a simple idea in mind. I knew I wanted to write about a single mom taking her son to the Magdalen Islands and that I was going to use my own trip as the basis for it. It’s only when I finally sat down to write that the story really started coming to life. My main character originally wasn’t going to be a widow, and when the thought first occurred to me I asked myself “am I really going there?” because I wanted the story to be a cheerful one. I am happy that I did make Caroline a widow, because it added a lot to the story in the end. As I mentioned earlier, sometimes my characters talk to me and I have to listen to them.
4) Is there anything specific that you want readers to know about this piece of work?
I started writing short stories for an online magazine called Mom’s Favorite Reads earlier this year. “I’ll Take You to See the Ocean” started off as a short story I was going to submit to the magazine, but I kept elaborating and embellishing the story as I often do and it ended up being a lot longer then I originally intended it to be. I felt that the story would not be the same if I cut parts out. Instead of having the story potentially split into several issues of the online magazine, I decided to publish it on its own.
5) How do we get a copy?
o Has the book already been published, or is it available for pre-order? If you have a universal link, please provide it here.
§ I also made the book available as a FREE download on Smashwords for an undetermined period of time: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1074492
o Are you offering ARCs to beta readers – if you are, how do they contact you for a copy?
§ I don’t need beta readers per say since the book is already published, but anyone who wishes to review the book can request a digital copy from me via my author Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chantal-Bellehumeur-public-author-page/347446362035640