MEET MY CHARACTER
1. Who are you?
o What is your name?
· My name is Sooze. Sooze Williams. Sometimes folks think my name is hard to pronounce, but it ain't really. It sounds the same as sayin' Sue's, like "Sue's got a stomach ache," or "Sue's got an 'A' on her English paper," or "That's Sue's hair ribbon, ain't it?"
o Are you a fictional or historical character?
· Meg, Amy, Beth, and Jo March are made-up girls, so I guess I am, too. They're in my favorite book, called "Little Women." I guess that makes me fictional, just like the March sisters.
o What should we know about you?
· I just turned sixteen, but sometimes I feel a whole lot older. I have chores to do on our family farm, but my favorite is planting the garden and keeping it weeded and watered. Oh, and it's probably important to tell you that I love to read and I'm devoted to my family.
2. Tell us about your story:
o When and where is your tale set?
· My home is in Coaldale, Arkansas, which is not fictional, like me. It's on the Arkansas/Oklahoma border and it's the prettiest place you could ever see. But, 1932 brought hard times. It seems no man can find a job that pays enough to support his family, so lots of folks are leaving here looking for a better place.
o What is your personal goal? I mean, what do you ultimately want?
· Want and need are two different things, and what I want don't matter much. What I need is to help my family put food on the table, buy clothes, and maybe even put some money back to save up for a college education for my little sister, Cora. If I was daydreamin' though, I'd tell you that what I want is true love, just like my Mama and Daddy have for each other
o What is standing in your way? What conflict(s) do you face?
· I've made the decision to marry my first and only boyfriend, David Huckabee. Now, don't get confused—David is not my true love. Fact is, sometimes I don't even like him much, but his Mama and Daddy own the General Store and he's the richest boy I know. He's nice enough to me, but he sure don't like my family, which aggravates me to no end. But, if I marry David, I'll get a job working in the store earning enough money to really help Mama and Daddy. I won't be a burden to them anymore.
3. How do I get a copy of your book?
o What is the title or working title for this piece?
· My story is told in the book, SHADOW OF THE HAWK.
o Is it available now or when can we expect to see it released?
· SHADOW OF THE HAWK was released February 2015 and hit #11 on Amazon's list of bestsellers for YAHistorical Fiction. It has won the 2015 Literary Classics International Book Award, the 2015 Chaucer Award, the 2016 RONE Award, and the 2016 WILLA Literary Awardfor Children and Young Adults.